Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Trailer Park Tuesdays - Under the Skin




Hey it's Trailer Park Tuesdays, reopened and back in business (that business being sharing and talking about movie trailers for upcoming releases that are [possibly] flying under your radar).  Welcome.





Jonathan Glazer's Under the Skin is a dark, erotic, sci-fi thriller starring Scarlett Johansson as an alien who is seducing and luring men to her home for mysterious purposes.  That's really all you need to know, but I'll go ahead and throw in that it's based on the book of the same name by Michael Faber.

This is Glazer's first film in ten years.  His previous two, Sexy Beast (2000) and Birth (2004), are both really good, great even, so a new film from him automatically gets my attention.  Add in the erotic sci-fi alien Johansson and my attention has been doubled.

Below is the first full trailer for Under the Skin.
It's light on plot and heavy on the visuals, and those visuals are heavy.

Yes.

I like the way this looks.  The invoking of Kubrick's name in the pull-quotes is something I could do without, but whatever.  I'm surprised they didn't go for a twofer and mention David Lynch (that shot of the trees!).

I've read that festival audiences have been divided on the film, but that seems to be the case with Glazer's movies.
He aims for cult/niche, making films for specific audiences, rather than wide, mass appeal.  Well, this appeals to me and I'll be in the audience.

Under the Skin opens up April 6th, hopefully in a city near you.

Here's the theatrical poster:
*
Jonathan Glazer is also known for his music videos, which you have probably seen and love, like this one, this one, and this one.  Check them links!
*

No comments:

Post a Comment