Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Trailer Park Tuesdays - Man of Tai Chi and 47 Ronin (Keanu Reeves Double-Wide Trailer Edition)



The Trailer Park was closed last week due to, you know, my life getting in the way, but it's reopened this week.  To make up for last week's closure, we got a double-wide edition this time around, specifically a double dose of Keanu Reeves.  "Why?," you might ask.  "Why not?," is what I say.






Keanu Reeves is one of those actors who gets a lot of shit.  People seem to refer to him as a "bad actor" and talk down about him, but that's bogus.  Sure, he's been in some truly terrible movies, but he's also been in some good ones (c'mon, you liked Bill & Ted), and like most actors, he just has to get a good part that can utilize his particular skill set.  And yes, my implication is that Keanu Reeves has an acting skill set, and it's a skill set that I don't mind seeing from time to time, under the proper conditions.

So anyway, defense of Keanu aside, let's look at a couple movie trailers, shall we?


First up is Man of Tai Chi (2013), which looks pretty amazing in my book.  It received the prestigious "Best Thing I've Seen Lately" award from film critic Vern over at outlawvern.com (also, my friend Deric approves, which is a good sign).  This film interests me for a number of reasons. First, it is a martial arts underground fighting tournament movie, a subgenre not seen nearly enough, but when present, is usually pretty great.  Second, this is Keanu's directorial debut, so naturally he stars in the film. . . as the villain (pretty badass move, let's be honest).  The star of the film is Tiger Chen, a talented stuntman that Reeves met on the set of the Matrix movies.  Oh, and the majority of the movie is not in English and features subtitles.

Okay.  So a martial arts fighting movie, spoken in mainly Cantonese and Mandarin, with Keanu Reeves directing and playing the villain...  Sounds fucking great to me!

Man of Tai Chi is playing in select cities RIGHT NOW and is also available VOD and over on iTunes for download (if you're into that) RIGHT NOW as well.  As soon as I get the chance, I'm going to see it.  Here's the trailer:

"FINISH HIM!"


Part two of today's double-wide trailer edition is for an admittedly more questionable film, one that could possibly be not so good (it's all that CGI that makes me hesitant), but hell man, I love samurai movies, so this one's on my radar.  47 Ronin (2013) is one of those action-fantasy-samurai movies about a group of ronin getting revenge for the death of their master.  Looks like fun.  Lots of room for craziness.  Comes out on December 25th, so I totally expect this to be THE holiday movie of 2013.  Check out the trailer:


And of course, a pair of posters provided for your perusal.

No comments:

Post a Comment